The Nanfang / Blog

Van Crashes into Guangzhou Supermarket, 1 Dead, 4 Injured

Posted: 04/12/2014 8:52 pm

guangzhou van crash supermarketguangzhou van crash supermarket

A van crashed into a Xiaoxianyizhan supermarket in Guangzhou today (April 12) at around 12pm killing one man, reported the Weibo account of Guangzhou Daily.

The accident occurred at Xuanxiatiansan Road in Baiyun District. A male pedestrian walking past the store entrance was killed while three shoppers and one female employee inside the supermarket were injured and later sent to hospital for medical treatment.

The accident is under investigation by police.

Photos: Guangzhou Daily Weibo


Shenzhen Food Safety Crackdown Finds Contaminated Meat, Noodles and Fish

Posted: 04/4/2014 11:29 am

When overly ambitious food retailers take to acting as amateur chemists to cut corners, they keep the savings but pass the hazardous effects onto us, the consumer. It’s another kind of “lightning in a bottle”.

A total of nine people have been arrested in food safety crackdowns by the Shenzhen Food Safety Department last year. Most of the convictions stemmed from the sale of counterfeit name brand baijiu, drinking water, and beer, but three cases involved the sale of food contaminated with hazardous chemicals.

The most recent food safety “blacklist” details some of the food Shenzhen residents may have been eating this past year, SZ News reported.

Grass fish, Mandarin fish, Yellow fish – six fish out of a sample of eleven were found to contain malachite green, a controversial aquaculture agent that controls bacteria and fungi. It can be safely used for fish in aquariums, but not recommended for consumable fish as it poses a health risk to humans. Banned in the USA, UK, and Canada, this agent also known as “China green” is commonly used as a dye.

Four seafood sellers at Luofang Seafood Wholesale Market were found guilty of using malachite green during a September 25, 2013 inspection and given sentences of six to ten months in jail and given fines up to RMB 10,000.

Fried rice noodles – excessive amounts of sodium borate or Borax were found in noodles sold by a food seller in Longgang District. Because of its effectiveness against yeast, Borax is often used as a food preservative but is mostly used in China to add a firm rubbery texture to noodles. Is banned in the USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

Fan Chuhao, owner of the Chuhaoji Beef Store, failed a food inspection on March 25, 2013 and convicted. Fan was sentenced to six months in jail and fined RMB 3,000.

Marinated meat – high levels of hydrogen peroxide were found in marinated meat at a food processing workshop in Longgang’s Henggang Subdistrict. Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a bleaching agent for shark fin, but is used in meat preparation because it kills bacteria and helps tenderize the meat.

Xue Chonglan failed a March 15 inspection and was convicted. Xue was sentenced seven months in jail and fined 4,000 yuan.

Shenzhen first established a food safety “black list” on September 1, 2013. If guilty, persons named to this list are not allowed to work in the food industry for five years. This recent list is the third one to be published so far.

Photo: hbshuichan


200 trapped in Guangzhou supermarket after fire alarm accidentally set off

Posted: 08/14/2012 4:09 pm

Two-hundred customers were trapped inside a Vanguard Supermarket in Guangzhou after a fire alarm was accidentally set off in the evening of August 11, according to QQ News. The alarm sounded shortly after 9 pm, causing all of the shutters at the supermarket to automatically close.

One of the customers reported on Sina Weibo that the shutters had closed before any customer had the chance to evacuate. The fire exit was too crowded to get out of, accoring to the microblogger. He had to go up to the Little Sheep restaurant on the third floor and take the escalator to escape with his wife and children.

The incident spread rapidly on Sina Weibo while it was happening. One Weibo user, NgaLok_MaMa, spoke of the panic that he and his family went through when they saw the fire exit was so blocked with people. Another, Ya Mengma (吖檬妈) spoke of the “appalling” lack of guidance or service shown by the staff at the supermarket.

On the afternoon of August 13, journalists from contacted the supermarket who explained that the closing shutters were designed to prevent smoke from escaping, and that the cause of the alarm being set off is still under investigation.

The supermarket insisted that its fire escape facilities were sufficient, but on that occasion customers panicked resulting in overcrowding at the exit. The supermarket insisted that lowering the shutters was the right thing to do.

However, it was reported at 5:32 pm on the afternoon of August 13 that Vanguard had apologised for the incident.

Keep in Touch

What's happening this week in Shenzhen, Dongguan and Guangzhou? Sign up to be notified when we launch the This Week @ Nanfang newsletter.

sign up for our newsletter

Nanfang TV