The Nanfang / Blog


Man in Guangzhou naps, never wakes up: killed by poisonous snake

Posted: 09/10/2012 2:00 pm

A man was killed in his sleep by a snakebite in Guangzhou’s Baiyun District on September 2, according to Southern Metropolis Daily.

Li Zhiquan, 31, went for a nap at 4 p.m. at his home in Cunliao Subdistrict. After he was found unconscious by his younger sister at 6 p.m., his sister rushed him to Baiyun District Red Cross Hospital but Li was dead by the time he arrived.

His sister noticed that one of his hands had gone black in his sleep and she lifted the covers to find the snake. Two male family friends who were in the apartment seized the snake, which was 70-80 centimetres in length, and put him in a bag so they could show the doctor.

The breed of snake was bungarus multicinctus which is mostly found in east Asia and has highly toxic venom.

Once in the car, they noticed three teeth marks on Li’s left hand. Upon arrival, the doctor confirmed the death, saying that now is the peak season for snakes in the region.

Li’s fiance, surnamed Mo, expressed her grief: “When we found him, he was still warm. I can’t believe he has simply gone.”

Li lived in a part of the subdistrict called Migang Village. It is quite remote, and there are many trees in the area. It was not the first time a snake had appeared in their apartment.

The hospital gave the family snake poison and the first-aid equipment necessary to deal with snake bites.

Keep in Touch

What's happening this week in Shenzhen, Dongguan and Guangzhou? Sign up to be notified when we launch the This Week @ Nanfang newsletter.

sign up for our newsletter

Nanfang TV