Explosion On Shenzhen Metro Line 4 Caused by External Smartphone BatteryPosted: 05/8/2014 4:20 pm
A subway train had to stop suddenly and passengers evacuated after a fire broke out at the rear of a train on Line 4 of the Shenzhen Metro, reports the Shenzhen Evening Report.
The incident occurred at 11:33am, and suspended subway service from Lianhua North Station to Futian Checkpoint, affecting transfer stations along Lines 1, 2 and 3.
A source with the firefighters on the scene confirmed the fire as the result of an explosion originating from a external battery charger for a cell phone.
No injuries were reported. Trains resumed normal operations as of 12:24pm.
Cheap aftermarket batteries seem like a bargain in comparison to the high cost of smartphones that keep rolling out with new models every year. However, the savings may be hazardous as shown on numerous occasions.
An iPhone 5 user in Thailand said his phone exploded while taking a call. Kirsten Zastrow reported the Anker replacement battery in her Nexus S phone exploded when recharging it at night. Wu Jiantong fell into a coma after being shocked by his iPhone4, while Ma Ailun complained she received an electric shock when taking a call while her phone was charging.
Always answer when opportunity knocks, but use caution when receiving incoming calls.
Products appearing in photo are not necessarily concerned with products associated with this story, which have not been disclosed.