Riding high on the clothing trail, the team behind Topshop’s successful debut in China is preparing to unleash Topman to eager shoppers in Shenzhen.
The new Topman, opening next door to Topshop in King Glory Plaza, fills an important hole in the market. In order to get the go-ahead to launch, it had to overcome trademark issues earlier in the year.
Topshop launched to much fanfare in May, but some fans had to leave with empty bags as the store only stocked female fashions.
Britain’s Arcadia Group, which runs the two franchises, is focused on the mainland market. It is testing the popularity of the brand with pop-up concept stores it goes against the trend of rival retailers, such as Abercrombie & Fitch, launching their presence in China with flagship stores in Hong Kong.
Also on the Nanfang:
- Nanfang Insider: UK retailer Topman faces legal hurdles opening in China (May 14, 2012)
- Nanfang Insider: Fashion alert! Britain’s Topshop pops-up in Shenzhen (May 2, 2012)
- Nanfang Insider: Attention ladies: A&F models have been flown in for HK store opening (August 3, 2012)
- Nanfang Insider: Abercrombie & Fitch to enter China market via Hong Kong (April 23, 2012)
- Nanfang Insider: Hong Kong’s US retail invasion: J Crew next to move in (July 31, 2012)
- Nanfang Studio: Britain’s Top Shop opens in Shenzhen
- Nanfang Studio: A&F Models strut their stuff in Hong Kong