A woman in Guangzhou, Miss Jiang, was taken to hospital after drinking a cup of blueberry yogurt which had been mixed with disinfectant at a Papa Johns pizza restaurant in Guangzhou, according to the Yangcheng Evening News.
On the afternoon of August 26, Jiang was shopping with her friends in Xinxi Gang before they took a rest at the Papa John’s. She ordered a cup of blueberry yogurt.
After taking a sip, Jiang observed that it smelled like bleach. After tentatively taking another sip she asked the manager about the strange smell, and he admitted there was something wrong with the product. ”They said there was disinfectant in it,” Jiang said. She was hospitalized for four days as a result of consuming the disinfectant.
“It was a strange misfortune. I have been in Guangzhou for 11 years and have never been seriously ill or injured. My throat is still in pain and I cannot eat or drink,” she said. Reporters went to the restaurant and saw the poisoned yogurt themselves.
Staff at Papa John’s said it would be hard to identify the culprit. “We have lots of part time workers, particularly students. It will be hard to catch the guilty party, but we will take responsibility for what happened,” the restaurant said in a statement.