NPC Member Latest Casualty of Dongguan Prostitution CrackdownPosted: 04/15/2014 4:06 pm
The prostitution crackdown in Dongguan ensnared its highest catch yet when Liang Yaohui, a deputy in the National People’s Congress (NPC), was forced to vacate his seat before being arrested for running a prostitution ring on the afternoon of April 14, the SCMP reported.
Liang was voted out of the NPC by the eighth session of the Standing Committee of the 12th Guangdong Provincial People’s Congress this past Monday. Shortly afterwards, Liang was arrested by Dongguan police, who respectfully waited for the wheels of justice to begin rolling in sequence.
Liang is the owner of the Crown Prince Hotel, a 5-star establishment located in Dongguan. His arrest is just the latest in a long string of announcements. To date, this is the fallout from the Dongguan prostitution crackdown:
- 865 arrests made
- 541 pimps smacked
- 62 criminal rings busted
- 2,925 hotels, sauna and massage centers closed
- 854 pornographic websites now hands off
- 36 police officers involved of which 9 are in criminal detention, 13 face disciplinary action, 14 are under investigation
- 1 Deputy Mayor and Head of the local PSB, Yan Xiaokang, sacked
- a boyfriend and girlfriend mistaken for a prostitute and her john during a raid, released
- around 800,000 people, or 10% of the city’s population, leaving the city en masse
- 50 billion yuan of the local economy lost
- 1 Dongguan mayor who claimed he “didn’t know the problem was so bad“, befuddled
- 1 super-group power ballad sung, hurts so good
With so many announcements, we are all awaiting the future when Dongguan is cleansed of all of its vice so that it becomes just like any other normal town in China and has the same normal reasons not to go there and not engage in nefarious acts you wouldn’t do in your own town. It’s only fair.