The Nanfang / Blog

Huge Sinkhole Appears in Dongguan

Posted: 10/31/2014 10:00 am

massive sinkhole dongguanA huge 70 square meter wide sinkhole appeared in the Changping area of Dongguan yesterday, the second such sinkhole in Dongguan this year, reports Nandu.

Thankfully, no one was hurt, and repairs to fill the hole have already begun.

Earlier this year, a four-meter deep sinkhole appeared on the Dongguan highway to Huizhou. Another sinkhole in Changping appeared on the highway to Huizhou last February, causing injury to four people (seen below).

massive sinkhole dongguanPhotos: Nandu Dongguan, Yangcheng Evening Report

Haohao

Forgotten in the West, Drive-In Movie Theatre Finds New Life in China

Posted: 10/28/2014 10:00 am

dongguan drive in theater 01While the humble drive-in theatre has slowly faded away in the United States, it is taking on a new life in the People’s Republic. The Chinese love affair with the automobile has blossomed into booming business for Dongguan’s very first drive-in movie theatre.

The Huawei Four-Way Drive-In Theatre offers three new releases every night of the week from 7pm until 1am. For RMB 150 per vehicle, you can enjoy watching movies on the theatre’s 8 by 16 meter screen in the comfort of their own car.

dongguan drive in theater 01Though the theatre does not feature trendy 3D movies, the drive-in has proven to be very popular with local residents. Eager crowds have continued to queue since the theatre officially opened a week ago Monday.

As with a traditional drive-in, the film’s audio is broadcast via car radio. In a move to help the local environment, an air conditioning distribution system delivers cool air to each car, taking away the need to keep engines running.

dongguan drive in theaterRelated:

Photos: Dongguan Times

Haohao

Dongguan’s Sex Trade Is Back

Posted: 10/24/2014 9:00 am

A woman walks past a banner that reads, “crack down on prostitution, gambling and drugs”.

Dongguan’s sex trade has proven to be more resilient than originally thought. The city, which has been targeted in a large-scale sweep over the past eight months, appears to have its mojo back.

Sixty people were arrested following raids on two of the city’s “entertainment venues” on Houjie Street: Junhao Hotel KTV and Dongcheng Shengshi Gechao KTV, both of which were offering sexual services. Their business licenses have already been suspended for six months.

The arrests come just two months after the city’s massage parlours, saunas, and hotels reopened for business after a massive clean-up, which followed CCTV’s exposé on the city’s rampant sex trade in mid-February. It alleged that the sex-trade contributed 10 percent to the city’s GDP.

Since being allowed to reopen, 2,684 entertainment operators, or 80 percent of the city’s entertainment businesses, have signed a pledge promising not to provide services related to gambling, drugs and prostitution.

In July, Guangdong province also introduced a series of detailed new regulations aimed at prohibiting the “vice trade”, including banning dim lights and private rooms. Evidently, the measures have proven to be of little use.

Photos: SCMP

 

Haohao

Controversial Class Teaches Women to Have “Absolute Obedience” to Husbands

Posted: 09/30/2014 10:30 am

Women attending one of the Women’s Virtue Classes

Dongguan has cancelled a class that taught women to tolerate domestic violence after critics said the class was chauvinistic and twisted traditional Chinese culture, New Express Daily reported.

The controversial “Women’s Virtue Class” that targeted women from teenage girls to women in their 70s had asked its students to strictly adhere to its four basic principles: never fight back when beaten, never talk back when verbally assaulted, take it as it as and never file for divorce.

The class came to light after a women’s organization went undercover at the school, Tencent reported. Song Yuping, a student that took the class, said she was taught a woman can suffer from headaches, arthritis, heart disease and thrombosis if she does not care for her father-in-law and husband. Conversely, absolute obedience to a husband can eventually cure lung cancer and albinism.

Following an investigation into the program by local authorities, Dongguan’s propaganda department announced the class has been officially shut down. An investigation found “its teaching curriculum was against social morals, and its class was run without a legal license,” the report said.

The Mengzheng Chinese Study Academy ran the women’s virtue class annually in 12 separate sessions, each of which was filled with 50 students. In addition to Dongguan, similar classes were taught in Beijing as well as Shandong, Hebei, Shanxi and Hainan provinces, Chinese National Radio reported earlier.

Most of the teaching materials were loosely based on Confucius classics. The popular class suggested “some modern women are desperate and hopeless when facing a family crisis. They can’t solve their immediate problems, and instead turn to those brainwashing women’s virtues to hypnotize themselves (for temporary relief)”, Jiang Jingjing, a commentator told Hong Kong newspaper Oriental Daily.

Photos: Wen Wei Po

Haohao

Naked, Knife-Wielding Dongguan Man Takes Schoolgirl Hostage

Posted: 09/15/2014 8:00 am

naked knife hostage taker schoolgirl dongguanA man, wearing only his skivvies, took an 11 year-old schoolgirl hostage Saturday morning, in Dongguan, reports Wenweipo. The incident occurred in Shijie District near both Liangjia Village and Danwu Village.

After two hours, Police were successful in rescuing the hostage and subduing the suspect.

naked knife hostage taker schoolgirl dongguan

Neither the hostage, named Hu, nor the suspect was injured.

The suspect, described as “naked” by media reports, is a 25 year-old man, originally from Debao, Guangxi. His name is Huang X Kai, though it has been partially censored.

A preliminary investigation shows the hostage and the suspect do not know each other.

A police investigation is ongoing.naked knife hostage taker schoolgirl dongguannaked knife hostage taker schoolgirl dongguannaked knife hostage taker schoolgirl dongguannaked knife hostage taker schoolgirl dongguan

Photos: Weibo, Dongguan Police, Information Times

Haohao

No Mooncakes, No work! Workers at Apple’s Supplier in Dongguan on Strike

Posted: 09/12/2014 10:10 am

Workers from Wasstop, a subsidiary of Taiwanese company Wintek, gathered outside of the company to protest.

Hundreds of workers at one of Apple’s suppliers in Dongguan were on strike Tuesday and Wednesday after the company failed to give the workers mooncakes and an RMB 600 ($98) bonus, reported Nandu on September 10.

Workers at the Masstop Liquid Crystal Display Company, blocked a major intersection at Shilong Road and Huancheng Road in Sanyuan Industrial Park, causing traffic congestion, the report said.

The government has banned officials from giving mooncakes to employees in an effort to reign in corruption. Of course, the mooncakes aren’t really the issue, rather it’s the bonuses that typically accompany them. Nonetheless, the law has led to a sharp drop in sales among mooncake suppliers across the country.

One unidentified worker said that the company typically gives a holiday bonus for Dragon Boat Festival, Mid-Autumn Festival and Spring Festival to employees who have worked at the company for over a year. This year however, the bonus for Mid-Autumn Festival was absent, without any explanation.

Police vehicles at the protesting scene

Although Apple distanced itself from Masstop following a labour strike in 2009,  Globalpost reported, the optics aren’t particularly good. With the tech giant launching its new iPhones earlier this week, “strike” and “protest” probably aren’t the sort of headlines the company is looking for.

Apple had no comment regarding the protest. By 18:00 on Wednesday, about 80% of workers had returned to work.

Photos: China News 

Haohao

Tonnes of Dongguan Gutter Oil Processed & Sold By Unlicensed Companies

Posted: 09/10/2014 10:00 am

A woman is processing gutter oil.

While Taiwan is scrambling to contain the aftermath of its recent gutter oil scandal, Dongguan is facing a scandal of its own, as reported by Nandu. It alleges that the city produced nearly 4,000 tones of gutter oil a month, with approximately 3,000 tonnes ending up on dining tables, which far outnumbers the 700 tonnes exposed in Taiwan.

According to an unidentified executive from Zhongyou Zaozhi Company, the city’s only legally licensed processor of gutter oil (which turns oil from kitchen waste and slaughterhouse byproducts into fatty acid and industrial soybean oil), the company can barely collect 1,000 tonnes out of the total 4,000 tonnes produced. The remaining 3,000 tonnes is collected by more than 10 unlicensed companies, either from the city or manufacturers from nearby Shenzhen, Huizhou and Zengcheng, to process and sell to restaurants or other retailers.

Collecting the oil is not always an easy job. Workers from Zhongyou Zaozhi company explained that some gutter oil collectors had resolved to fight for the profitable, substandard oil. One worker, Xiaodu, said in May that he was threatened by illegal oil collectors from Shenzhen. His nose was injured after telling them that they did not have the right to collect the oil in Dongguan.

Gutter oil seized in Beijing in 2010.

According to the report, high profits are fueling the gutter oil market. One tonne of the oil can be sold for nearly RMB 4,000 ($652), while the cost of collection and processing is less than RMB 1,000 ($163). In total, illegal gutter oil collectors can receive RMB 3,000 in profits ($489).

We don’t know what the health risks are in consuming the oil; but, researchers are apparently working around the clock to find the answer. As reports of food safety scandals continue to develop, we see a bright future for Baidu’s newly-unveiled smart chopsticks, which are said to be able to sense if the food you eat is made with gutter oil. At this rate, we can say this may be the most anticipated new product in China.

Photos: Getty Image; 55bbs.com

 

Haohao

Thugs Beat Up Sanitation Workers in Dongguan Contract Dispute

Posted: 08/28/2014 9:00 am

Nearly 40 sanitation workers in Dongguan were ambushed and badly beaten by a pipe-wielding mob following a contract dispute with a local landscaping company, Nandu reported on August 26.

The Dongguan Meishengda Municipal Engineering Co Ltd. were awarded a contract with the local Wancheng government to oversee the district’s landscaping and sanitation work. However, the sanitation workers defiantly refused to sign the contract claiming it was nothing more than a sheet of blank paper. According to Lin Junguo, a 59 year-old sanitation worker who has been sweeping Dongguan streets for nearly 20 years, the contract made no mention of the name of the employer, the salary, the length of the contract, or annual leave.

Of the 700 workers presented with the agreement, approximately 200 refused to sign. Those who objected were dismissed and replaced with new workers.

The violence erupted around 6:30am on August 25 when 40 workers gathered at Dongmen Square with the intention of taking their case to the local petition bureau. According to witnesses, four vans suddenly arrived carrying 20 or so tattooed young men with meter-long steel pipes. The men then attacked anyone wearing a sanitation uniform. The assault lasted approximately three minutes.

The company denied any involvement in the incident, and dismissed the accusation that they had hired triad members to attack the workers. According to the company, three workers who had been hired to replace those who refused to sign the new contract were responsible. Earlier that day, they had been assaulted by several of the dismissed workers. But when the newspaper interviewed the three injured workers, they denied any involvement: “(They were) not sent by us. If you have any questions, you should ask our boss,” one of the three injured workers said.

According to the SCMP, among construction companies, hiring triad members to “keep workers in line” is not an uncommon practice.

More than 10 sanitation workers were injured with two needing further surgery. Two passer-bys were also injured during the beating. The police have arrested seven suspects.

Here are some of the images:

Photos: Guangzhou Daily; sina weibo

Haohao

Armed Thief Ties Up Dongguan Expat in Own Home

Posted: 08/14/2014 3:11 pm

new world gardensMasquerading as a kuaidi express courier, a robber armed with a knife forced his way into the residence of a Dongguan expat and stole cash and property totaling RMB 450,000. The victim of the robbery is identified as “David”, a 54 year-old man from Australia, reports XKB.

On August 9 at 8am, a man approached the No. 7 Dijingtai building of the New World Gardens residential area in Dongcheng District. The man identified himself as a courier, so David opened to the door only to be confronted by a man who forced his way into the home wielding a knife.

The intruder subdued David by tying him up, and then proceeded to loot David’s apartment. RMB 60,000, HK$80,000, 150,000 New Taiwan Dollars and US$11,000 were all taken in cash. The robber also made off with four watches, a phone, and various rings and jewelry.

Police used surveillance video to track down a suspect, who was arrested on August 10. The man is a 28 year-old surnamed Kong from Xianning, Hubei Province. He apparently handed over all the property from David’s apartment.

Kong operates a computer store and is several tens of thousands of yuan in debt. He told police he got the idea to commit robbery when his wife left him as a way to alleviate his financial problems.

new world gardens

[h/t HereDG]

Photos: t55, soufang

Haohao

Dongguan Police Bust Underground Gambling Ring

Posted: 08/12/2014 12:30 pm

rmb money gamblingAn illegal gambling ring masquerading as a paper-manufacturing factory run by a Hong Konger was raided by Dongguan police on August 9 reported Nandu. This is the latest in a series of gambling-related arrests in Guangdong now totalling 58,154 people since the beginning of the year.

According to police, more than 40 gamblers, including the factory’s Hong Kong owner, were arrested in the raid. Hidden in Heng Li Town, the paper factory by day, gambling den by night, generated in excess of RMB 100,000 in daily bets.

The story came to light after a gambler, surnamed Wu, tipped off the police. Wu, a local company executive, lost thousands as a result of his addiction. He then watched as several of his employees who would accompany him to the gambling den followed suit. In a desperate attempt to fight his addiction, Wu reported the illegal ring to the local newspaper and assisted the police in the raid, according to the report.

In the first half of the year, Guangdong police filed 28,715 gambling-related cases, 1,651 of which were criminal in nature China News reported. Gambling was particularly rampant during the recent World Cup. One of the most talked about arrests was Guo Meimei, a controversial Internet celebrity. Guo was arrested in July for gambling and for her participation in the sex trade.

Photos: China News

Haohao
AROUND THE WEB
Keep in Touch

What's happening this week in Shenzhen, Dongguan and Guangzhou? Sign up to be notified when we launch the This Week @ Nanfang newsletter.

sign up for our newsletter

Nanfang TV